To: "AMC, Rambler, Nash, Jeep and family" <amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, June 23, 2009 12:51 PM
Subject: Re: [AMC-list] How much HP does an oil pump use

I was going to propose something like that! Did you measure oil pressure
with the 1hp drill going?

It's not the same circumstances as a hot running motor of course but it gets us within the ballpark I think. Hot oil is thinner, and the rotating engine
would uncover squirt holes, and I have no idea how oil passageways leading
to rotating bearings behave.

But if you could get say 10psi with a 1 hp drill, and as Mark points out,
the oil pump is driven by a fat screwdriver, it can't be more than a few hp.