Re: [Amc-list] 76 Hornet Pertronix distributor - vac advance dead; fix,

Re: [Amc-list] 76 Hornet Pertronix distributor - vac advance dead; fix, or replace the whole POS ?

Jerry, if it's the stock distributor it's a Prestolite and not a Delco (which the Pertronix unit would fit).  Amc used the prestolite from bout 1975 through 1977 I believe.  The Prestolite is famous for having a bad vacuum diaphragn in the advance mechanism.  You can get a rebuilt Prestolite through the auto parts chains.  That's what I did but a lot of people don't like that ignition system anyway because the modules can go out without warning. I have some NOS modules so I decided to stay with the unit.

Joe Fulton