Re: [Amc-list] DRUM BRAKES IN THE RAIN -- OH FUN

On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 7:49 PM, russ hathaway <russh97309@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Tom; about two years ago (or so) when everyone started bad mouthing drum brakes in favor of discs I wrote in about the 72 Ambassador wagon drums that I have on my American, all four corners. One modification that I did was to drill them. I drilled eight vent holes in the drum itself plus a couple in the backing plate.

Ouch. I do, but barely, remember that, and I apologize. I remember now
yeah, you stuck big Ambo brakes on your American. I guess we filter
what we wanna hear.

Yeah, 10" drums front and rear on a 2800? lb car, damn man, that's brakes!

So what pattern did you drill the holes in? I wish I coulda got 10" in
there, then I'd be more afraid I'd twist suspension parts off!

> The reason for doing so is simple, the big brakes are a dime a dozen as everyone is switching to discs.
> And those big ambo drums stop my '65 like no ones business- try 60-0 in less than 120 ft. That is state of the art as far as brakes go, folks.

A 10" drum setup might be a tiny bit heavier than a disc setup. I
wonder how much? Drums are heavy, but those Bendix discs are not
exactly lightweight.

> A couple of things to also do is make sure your plates are smooth where the shoes run on. I welded up the scars from the old shoes, then ground them smooth. Lube that area.
> I also had the shoes relined with Kevlar linings, there is a company that will do that.
> Adjust them per TSM and you are good to go.

Yeah, now I remember your Kevlar linings. So how are they two years
later? Are they eating drums faster than organic linings?

> The only benefit I can see to discs versus GOOD DRUMS is ease of getting parts, I can get pads off the shelf at any parts store versus having to wait a few days for shoes and cylinders.

Yeah, 10" drums are harder to get -- I looked. 9 x 2.5 drums seem to
still be easy -- for now. Fewer choices and more applications.

> Just a rant about your drum conversion, I guess if I had submitted pics (and those are real nice pictures, Tom) maybe I wouldn't have been dragged over the coals....

Well I compulsively document, it's almost unhealthy, but it does make
s**t stick to the wall more. Got any photos of yours? I would love to
host them for you. Your two years on the road matters.

Pioneers often draw fire. Now you get to say 'I told you so'.