Re: [Amc-list] Overheating - not starting

Welcome to the pain of using a Ford style direct drive starter! First, (after trying new #2 battery cables) I would pull the starter and replace the nose bushing. When the armature goes offcenter, it creates a mega power drag and high heat, but after it cools, it spins freely.
   I have to tap the throttle in mine to keep it from kicking back. I have my timing dialed in, but it's weeping a head gasket into a cylinder and messing it up. I'll fix that along with the starting problem when I swap my head for a 4.0L one and put in an AW4 trans for O/D.

From: "Bill Yourick"
Subject: [Amc-list] Overheating - not starting

My 68 AMX starts from cold great.  Runs like a champ - man I love this car! But when I stop, turn off the engine it won't restart.  Slow or no turn over like a bad battery.  Smells a little hot but not too bad.  I've checked the radiator, battery is good and on a slow charger at all times, even added a heat shield blanket for the starter.  The voltage regulator is new and very hot  but I'm thinking it from trying to start the engine.  After it cools down and with the battery cables off for the cool down period I reconnect and it starts like new.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.