Re: [Amc-list] I'm melting! I'm melting!

Re: [Amc-list] I'm melting! I'm melting!

" From: Jim Blair <carnuck@xxxxxxxxxxx>
"
"
" It's not just an Audi pattern. It's the same as Jetta and Audi diesel.
" VW used some in the VW vans along with water cooled under powered 4
" cyls (a common swap here and overseas is the Audi 5 cyl) That motor
" was also used in the Gremlins and late '70s Porsche 924 (with turbo
" too!)
"  The local junkyard had a 924 with bad trans that someone cannibalized
" everything off the motor and the bell pattern is an exact match for
" the 904 in the Jeep. Starter/flexplate are different though. The trans
" in the DJ would be just the thing for making a 5 cyl diesel (Volvo
" used the VW motor too) powered XJ.

this is very interesting!  i wonder if their narrow-angle v6s or the
wider audi v6s also share the pattern?  or the audi v8s?

volvo used a straight-6 version of the diesel, still very underpowered
and iirc they had problems - with the crank?  volvo also used aisin
warner autos including the a30-40le [aw4], but i don't know when they
switched to it.

imho for a diesel a toyota 2L-T would be an easier swap, as they also
used aisin warner trannies and have bells for the ax5, ax15, and aw4.
last version was an obd-1 98hp 2L-TE with something like 150 ft-lbs at
2400.

these are old tech prechamber diesels though.  for modern common-rail
direct injection, toyota has the 1kd/2kd family, used with ax15 and
aw4 relatives in the current model hilux vigo - see
http://www.sonimotorsthailand.com/vigo.html .  the hitch would be
getting them here, but soni sounds like they might help - and supply
manuals in english - and places like gotengines.com might be good too.
they go from 102 to 163 hp with torque up to 253 ft-lbs, limited by
the tranny i think.

or if you prefer german engineering - the tranny in the wrangler
rubicon is a benz nsg370, also used in a raft of euro-spec cars and
suvs, including the g and m class with the same 5-cyl diesel we see
here in the sprinter van.  and maybe the 5's big brother, the inline 6
from the e320cdi would also bolt up, with a euro-spec flywheel and ecm.
these are more powerful than the toyotas and the 6 has a metric
buttload of torque - almost 370 ft-lbs.

perhaps vw's recent 1.9/2.0 diesels still have the old vw/audi pattern.

also a challenge would be marrying the 'foreign' ecms to the jeep
sensors and instruments, straightforward -in-principle- -- it's 'just'
electronics...

" From: adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Sandwich Maker)
"
" " From: Jim Blair
" "
" "
" "    The DJ will be gone for the first $200 (needs a master cyl and
" " windshield plus it's RH drive with the VW/Audi 2.0L I was going to
" " swap for a VW diesel and make 4x4.
"
" you probably found this out already - this 2.0 is a '60s-'70s
" audi-only engine - maybe pre-vw - and probably doesn't share bolt
" pattern with the '70s-up vw 1.5-2.0 gas and diesel family.