Re: [Amc-list] world's slowest engine rebuild

Re: [Amc-list] world's slowest engine rebuild

Only puzzling to those not familiar with the early engines! That's the WATER PUMP mount. The 57 supplement is the first mention of the front mounted water pump. The first OHV (1956 only) used the old side mount water pump like the pre 56 L-heads. There were no L-heads for 56 & 57, the water pump moved to the front like the OHV when the L-head was reintroduced with the 58 American.

The welch plug blocks the water jacket. The welch plug and/or a flat is found on all the 196 OHV blocks, enough you can tell the water pump used to be there anyway (if you were aware it used to be there on older blocks), as far as I recall. It's unusual that the holes are drilled an tapped if you have the front mount pump. Maybe AMC made a blank plate to seal the front water pump hole off that allowed use of the side mount pump so the block could be used in older Ramblers? Since it's an early NOS "crate" engine, that's possible.

THere's a puzzling feature on the block -- a welch plug on the carb
side of the block down low, that goes into the crankcase. There's a
milled flat, hole, boss, and tapped hole, like a distributor mount
(but it's not).  I'll photo it later and RTFM the TSM and parts
catalog. Unimportant, but interesting.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"