Re: [Amc-list] 1968 Javelin - Amc/Dana mod. 20 rear end QUESTION

Re: [Amc-list] 1968 Javelin - Amc/Dana mod. 20 rear end QUESTION

Andrew said

> cj - should be 5x5.5".  sj - 6 x 5.5"?  should be 1pc axles though.

Armand Says,

Andrew, I was just in my storage unit (the corner of my garage) and looked
at the axles, they are definitley two piece, and the bolt pattern is 5 on 5.
I thought I was told they are from a CJ. The track is very narrow, can't
measure it as it is all tore down for the ring and pinion salvage, (3.54)
and the housing is buried in parts. It is an AMC 20 not a Dana.

My thoughts for the housing was to send it to an axle maker such as Strange
or Moser, have them weld in axle tubes from a Ford 9 inch, make the
appropriate one piece axles, weld on endplates for Ford, and install disc
brakes. then put it under the Javelin. I would have the strength of a 9 inch
th elightness of an AMC 20 and the bullet proof one piece axles. It would
use less power than the Ford 9 inch too.....

Andrew said

> i don't think you'd have to spline the holes; splines on the
> pressed-in studs should be enough.

Armand said,

You're correct, I must have been wanting to overkill it

Andrew said

> afaik the 2.87-down are all the same; 2.56/2.72 had the other carrier.
> amc only had one carrier until the late '70s, thus the oddball 2.87.
> it was the tallest that could be cut for the '3 series' carrier.

Armand said,

I wish I knew this one for sure.........as I have several carriers now, both
open and twin grip. One is for the 2.72 (twin grip)
and the others are for the higher numbered ratios. I would like to have a
set of 2.56 ring and pinion instead of the 2.72, as I'm looking for top end
and gas mileage right now.......