[Amc-list] Flucuating Oil Pressure

you dont say what engine it is, but anything i have been around, it is normal for the oil pressure to go up as the rpm's go up. it shouldnt go to high, as there should be a pressure relief valve in the oil filter, or in the oiling system near the filter. i always plum in a mechanical gauge to read actuall pressure. my ramblers all run about 10lbs or so at idle, and when cold, run as high as 50, when warm about 20 or so. i have a ford ranchero for a drag car, and it has a built ford 400. at idle, it only runs about 1 or 2 lbs. barely moves the needle. at 2000 rpm, im puttin about 12 lbs or so and goes up from there. those motors are notorious for low oil pressure at idle. im running 20-50 oil in it now too.... i would only worry when there is NO oil pressure. but thats me. as long as its getting to the rockers, and cam, its good.

dave stohler
my rambler pics@
http://picasaweb.google.com/das24rules