[Amc-list] V8 in 6 cyl Rebel Wagon= issues? Is my 3 spd an overdrive?

[Amc-list] V8 in 6 cyl Rebel Wagon= issues? Is my 3 spd an overdrive?

OK, so one of my buds has been hammering me about putting a V8 and Auto in the Wagon... I pretty much blew him off thinking I really wanted to do a 4.o build or a 4.0 head on 258,

After selling an engine and some axles, I got to thinking... wait a minute... I have a good running 360 /727 combo from a 72 Ambassador 4 door.  Performer Intake and Carb already on it and running.  I have a Pertronix to replace teh points.  I have the V8 crossmember and I believe the Ambo driveshaft is even the right length.  This would a be a weekend deal to swap it out rather than a couple of months putting together parts and money for the other swap.  Even have a set of headers that were never installed!

This is a no brainer right?

So I went down to where I drove the wagon to comtemplate and I found one of those "overdrive" handles laying in the seat... overdrive?  I have heard some of you guys talking about the 3 spd with od, but never had one.  Couldn't get under it to check it out... is it some sort of unit on the rear of the 3 spd?

Is the O/D setup worth keeping enough to offset the V8 ease?  I liked the idea of having the manual in a Wagon, but having this V8 sitting around...hmmmmm

Your experienced opinions are appreciated!

Have a great weekend,

Jesse