Re: [Amc-list] What is it? 232 or 258

Joe,

72 was about the time AMC switched back and forth between shaft and
bridged rockers (I think there was some sort of patent dispute about the
bridged rockers going on then). The stroke and (maybe) rods should be
the only difference between the 232 and 258.

Matt

On 1/18/2009 3:41 PM, Joe Fulton spouted this sage advice:
> I picked up a fresh rebuilt long block six in Los Angeles yesterday which date codes as a 1972 232 (block code).  The head also codes as a 1972 232.   The the rockers have been changed to bridged rockers.  Other than measuring the stroke (which I can do after I check the pre-lube on the bearings) what other clues do I have that this is a 258 engine?
>
> Joe Fulton

mhaas@xxxxxxx
Cincinnati, OH
http://www.mattsoldcars.com