Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 18:51:56 -0600
From: "Armand Eshleman" <aje1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Amc-list] amx cowl painting tips
To: "AMC/Rambler owners, drivers and fans."
<amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Steve,

If you mean the cowl under the air inlet in front of the windshield, that is
body color and the access is very tight. How ever that area has been
repainted on many AMX Javelin bodies and been covered very thoroughly at
that. The best prep would be to soda blast, clean up the soda, prep with
chemical bare metal etch and prime with high quality epoxy based primers.

If you are referring to the cowl area up underneath that is only visible
when the dash is completely removed, I would strip it with chemical paint
stripper or soda blast and then follow through as above. That area is not
body color but is some type of unusual undercoat, with body color overspray.

If you are referring to the cowl under the hood, that is also body color and
soda blast or chemical strip is the best with etch and epoxy prime.

An excellent product to use to "etch" bare metal is called PHIX and
is a
phosphorous acid based preservative. It will prevent surface rust from
forming if you don't get things primed immediately. Other metal etching
chemicals work great too. I used chemical stripper to remove all traces of
factory paint on the ram air hood for the white Javelin then sprayed it with
PHIX and wiped it off, as per directions. The hood has is going on three
summers of cruising now with zero flaws showing up.

Further note, I like to prime parts with a color of primer that is as close
to the body color as possible, hence the Frost White Javelin was primed
using a white epoxy primer, I know it's more difficult to see color
coverage, but with excellent lighting and an experienced painter that's not
a problem.

Hope this helps, and remember this is just my two bits worth and may not
work as well for you as it did for me.

Armand