Re: [Amc-list] Spring Compressor

About an hour and a half ago, I put the springs back in my Typhoon (with some help from a very good friend).  I have a set of the AMC style spring holders, and he has one developed by either Snap-On or Mac Tools.  The first one went in with some difficulty.  It had his after market set on it, and a 'borrower' had replaced one of the 'hooks' with a nut/bold assembly.  Aparantly he lost one, and this was his so called fix.  Anyway, the spring held by the AMC holder went into place, and some weight down on the fender area, popped right out, no problem, no fuss removing from the upper ears.
That tool looks like two cupped metal pads with a steel rod, molded into hooks at the top and bottom.  It fits very nicely in the upper area, which makes it somewhat easy to work with.  The tool is stamped with Series 10 and 80.  No mention of engine size.  IF you can find one of these, it's worth its weight in gold when dealing with front springs.  Yes, you DO have to drop the lower control arm a bit, so release the top of the shock.  The springs go in and out very easily, and the AMC tool holds perfectly, just like it's designed to.

ALL that having been said, I'm seriously considering having a local steel fabricator make me another pair, so if I have to pull or install both sides, again, I have two of the original style spring holders.  Sure was worth having it today!