----------
Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 19:44:55 -0500
From: David Crooks <david.crooks@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

 > Does anyone have any idea when the famous rear deck lid
 > spoiler was introduced?

I believe you're right, it was introduced along with the 1970 Javelin
Mark Donohue special edition?

Before that, there was a group 19 option wing type spoiler.  I recall
Donohue mentioning in his book that the Penske team had no
experience with the wings, and pushed AMC for the deck lid spoiler
instead....

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"