Re: [Amc-list] Water line in six cyl. intake

It's been WAY to long ago, but I do recall noticing a little difference between the stock Holley 1909 1V and the Carter WCD 2V carbs on my 63 American as far as power. Not much, but a little, and with that car it meant a lot! I didn't notice the difference between the WCD and a pair of L-head Carter YFs. The two YFs were bigger than the two barrels on the WCD, so the WCD is about the max size of any use on the 196, even with a hotter (but still mild) cam. A different carb was used on the Classic, I think a Holley 1930 or 1931? It gave 1-2 more hp than the little 1909. I seem to recall the 1909 being about 1.25" in diameter...

-------------
Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2009 18:03:58 -0800
From: Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>

Yeah, the little motor barely breathes and CFMs, it's hardly touchy
about carbs as long as low velocity mixture is good. I swear the 2bbl is
just for marketing.

Frank had a nice dual carb setup on his, he said no real difference. I
meam let's be real -- at 60mph in 3rd-over it's pumping 96cfm maximum!
That's not even half the flow rate of a Carter YF! It's like a big
lawnmower, if it weighed 600 lbs.

Maybe I should try the one bbl...

--
Frank Swygert