Re: [Amc-list] Phoenix Craigslist : $400 401 and BW trans

Don't know 100%, but I'm pretty sure that BW shut down the US auto trans line around 71. Ford had been using some BW parts, and may have stopped. I think the main problem was AMC just wasn't buying enough of each model for economical production. BW had facilities in Japan (Aisin Warner, the AW-4 is descended from the aluminum BW) and Europe (England?). Could just be that Chrysler offered a better deal, and BW shut the line down after AMC changed. All I know for sure is that BW shut the US auto trans assembly operation down around the same time that AMC switched. Got that from some e-mail with BW a few years ago looking for some info (no one really knew anything about the old autos anymore, other than they used to build them!).

-----------
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 17:54:19 -0500 (EST)
From: adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Sandwich Maker)

ih did use the iron warner up to '71, including with amc 232s from
'68/9.  both ih and amc switched to tf in '72, but jag used the m12
through '78.  iirc ford supplemented the fmx with m12s through the
'70s - i saw something in the '88 mitchell interchange that suggests
this.  and of course the aluminum warner begat a family that lasted
almost another 20 years in many foreign cars.

so - i'm curious as to what lay behind ih and amc switching.  '71 was
the last year they used warner autos, but not because warner shut them
down.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"