Re: [Amc-list] Convertible conversion?

As this thread progressed I found out the big cars were not available in verts.

To do a 64 Classic convert I would do it as the factory did.

A slice along the inside of the rockers would allow a 1.5 or 2 X 3 or 4 rect tube to be slid up along the rocker and welded in.  That piece needs to run full length.

Then you need torque boxes built at both front corners from thos boxes into the uniframe. The torque bos needs to be about 12" X 8"   the 12" for to aft at the bottom and the 8" at the front vertical.  Kind of an L shape hard to describe.

At the door latch posts you need a triangulation about 8" or so up and running down to the floor.
You also need a crossmember running across where the front of the rear seat sits. That could be about 1.5" X 3" needs to go full width of the car rocker to rocker.

There are also similar triangulation boxes or plates at the bottom of the door hinge pillars.

Moving up to the core support the front corners need braced,  The factory put huge heavy 3/8" corner plates in at these points.

Then you can remove the roof and decide if the car is still structuraly sound enough, or needs more!

I think as I looked at my pics of the teardown of my 65 it could actually be done by a person willing to take the time to do so.

There is not any sign the factory triangulated the 65, though it could not hurt.

The body work would be bit of work in it's own right too.

A roadster would be easiest, skipping the functional top etc;
Rainstorms could be a bit of a bummer though...

If he wants to proceed I can take a few pics and forward them to him. replicating what the factory did would/should get the job done.

--
Mark Price
Morgantown, WV

From: Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx>