Re: [Amc-list] Rebel Station Wagon upgrades- Brakes, 4.0, Auto O/D

From: Jesse <j2sax@xxxxxxxxx>
> OK, so it looks like my search for 71-73 Matador Wagon may end with a 67 Rebel
> Station Wagon.  It has a 258/auto but the front floorboards are shot due to
> sitting and water leaking through the vent system.  Some questions concerning
> upgrades.
>
> 1.  I have a 4.0 with O/D auto from a Comanche.  Rather than modifying a 258, I
> think this would be a simpler effort to having EFI and an O/D trans.  So, how
> would a 4.0 do as far as output goes?  I have an 88 with a 99 intake and header.
>
> Of course, I could do the stroker thing and have plenty of power, at the expense
> of some mileage I expect.

4.0L will do fine.
4.5-4.7L will do better and you'll probably only see about a 1-3 mpg loss.
1 if you drive it nice, 3 or more if you don't.

It is also quite possible the stroker will do better mpg in the wagon as the larger engine will not have to work as hard!

> I also have a V8 crossmember... could do a 304 or 360.  I have never had a full
> size with 6 cyl, so you're experienced opinion is appreciated.

eh, V-8 if you want, I'd stick with the six. I've thought of doing the convert with one, but I have too many 327's laying around.

> 2.  Since this has front discs, is it as easy to change out as the Solid rotor
> discs?  (unbolt the spindle/bracket from a later disc brake vehicle and bolt it
> up in place with rotors and calipers)

Swapping to later front disc from the old ones is no more difficult than going drums to disc.
easier as you can keep the master or swap it straight up for a new or rebuild.

> 3.  WHat is the best rear disc kit available for AMC 20 rears?  (at least I
> think it has an AMC 20... haven't checked that part out yet)

If you want a true kit, check to see if scarebird has one yet or Ron at WSC.
Also can build you own, just takes soem time and research.

--
Mark Price
Morgantown, WV