Re: [Amc-list] TBI fuel injection tuning...

Wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I doubt they would be intentional.
> If they placed them in the wrong rpm range it would create more issues, such as stumbles and surges, then it would fix.
>   It would be almost impossible to guess what trans shift point an end user would have.
> I guess in Tom's case they could have a specific burn for Eagle station wagons. That would explain the differences going to his Hornet.

I'm not disparaging Howells work, just fyi. Their product is for the
Jeep CJ. Hey I can't complain here -- they more than hit the barn door.
Chip and system meant for a 1980's CJ with 258, and I stuck it in a 63
Classic wagon with BW Mush-O-Matic and a 1970 232 made from
miscellaneous parts -- it bolted in and ran pretty good.

The errant peaks in their tables were at the edges, near WOT 1600rpm
(slightly rich, harmless) and many bumps at high vacuum (low Kpa) at
lower speeds, mostly. It just looks like they edited tables in 2D,
spreadsheet style, is all. Probably some ubergeek's work. Chip was dated
2005, so it could even be before the nice graphical software existed.

> They may make good money off of rewrites so they send out a unit that runs the car with no frills.
> Then custom burn later?

I think that's it. I think they want $200 for the customization, but
they will do as many iterations as necessary to get it tuned, so that's
not really a bad price. To do it yourself, you need the gear. The
cheapest and most effective stuff I've found is the Moates AutoPROM and
a Windows laptop. AutoPROM=$320 shipped. So Howell is fine all around.

It's a great kit. Instructions were clear. It works great. It will
probably fit in any AMC/Rambler that you can stuff a 199/232/258 in.

I bet the fuel maps would have been super close to correct in my Hornet,
which has the target motor, and though no CJ, is probably closer in
HP/weight ratio and gearing. THe Classic, it's underpowered (in that
sense) and has tall gears.

In some ways the "smarter" thing to have done was a junkyard 4.0 head
and setup. But, this is part of a Master Plan to be able to put TBI (or
TPI...) onto J Random Motor, like the 195.6, and then the Navarro oddity.