Re: [Amc-list] 4.0/258 rod bolts

 I was asking earlier about whether 4.0/258 rod bolts were interchangeable. I am building a 258 with 4.0 rods in it, however I gave away the 258 rods and pistons that were in it.  I finally was able to compare the two bolts, and they are basically identical. The nuts are different though. The 4.0 nuts have a washer built in to it.  I did get a response in which I was asked "why would would use a 258 block, when you could use a 4.0?"   Well, I didn't have a 4.0 block to begin with. I bought the 4.0 rods for the added length.  From what I have read, the longer rod ratio will allow the engine to rev more freely. They would also be easier on the cylinder walls. The biggest reason for this that I wanted to use a much lighter set of Buick 3.8 hypereutectic pistons. These are dirt cheap on Ebay. Making them fit the rods is the expensive part.