[Amc-list] Classic gas tank leak

Well guys,

My recently acquired '62 Classic has developed a gas tank leak.? I first thought it was the filler hose connection, but on looking closely, I find there has obviously been previous problems that were cobbled up by someone in the cars past.? The entire bottom of the tank is covered with fiberglass and then undercoated to disguise the work.? Looks like it has been there for a while, but now it is "oozing" out under several areas of the fiberglass.? I did not notice this until I filled my tank last Saturday.? There is a local radiator guy that also does gas tanks, but only if the leaks are minor.?

My questions are these:

1.? How do I get the fiberglass off the tank to see what's really happening?? Is grinding the only way?

2.? If the tank is shot, does anyone repop these tanks?? What years/models are the same?

3.? Does anyone here have a used tank that is good and needs a good home?? How much/where?

4.? What have others done to fix these kinds of problems?

As always, thanks for your help in advance..........

Mike