Re: [Amc-list] ramblings of a twisted mind and Head grooving (Ranger axl

Re: [Amc-list] ramblings of a twisted mind and Head grooving (Ranger axle in American)

Wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> For a dual pattern spare without resorting to high buc wheels. Look for a 15X4" GM rally style.
> Some of the lower name brand rallies are dual pattern and a lot cheaper than the wheels you run.

WOAH! Hey, I never thought of that -- that's a great solution to the
wrong-brand-rear issue. Wheel Vintiques does dual pattern by default on
their wheels. I think the ones on my American are 5 by 4.5 and 4.75.

There's a semi-local guy, Wheels of Steel? Can't find his CURRENT
website, but I talke dto him, and I know I mentioned him in this list
w/contact info so it's in the archives. That guy would have made me
custom steel wheels for about $60 each.

>   I always thought it was old tread pattern taht casued issues with rain, not the width.
>  I thought the wider the more likely that itres is to hydro and the newer tread designs counter that.

Wow, it's been a while since hydroplaning was an issue for me! That's an
East Coast thing :-) But mainly it means you're driving too fast for
conditions!

I don't think width by itself is the problem either -- unless you
compare Model T type "skinny" to fat soft tires. Then the lbs/sq in
thing might matter.