Re: [Amc-list] Chrysler sale

adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Sandwich Maker) said:

>" From: Archimedes <Freedom@xxxxxxxx>
>"
>" Our Kia Sedona is the only car we have that isn't "American".
>
>it might have an amc link, though.  i've heard that when they got
>tired of it, the peugeot-renault-volvo consortium sold their v6 - the
>one that's in the eagle premier - to kia.

I think they actually sold it to Hyundai in late 1998.  Hyundai must have had a plan; because they bought out Kia within months of buying the PRV machinery; and Kia already had the Sedona in the design oven.  It was kinda like Chrysler buying AMC because the XJ was already developed for production.

>if true, your sedona might well have one under its hood.

I've long wondered about it.  What really entices me is the idea of putting the Sedona V6 into a Premier and watch it turn into a Bimmer-eater.  The Sedona V6 is an extremely competent design, as is the 5-speed auto trans.  At 5,400 pounds or something, the Sedona was always the heaviest minivan on the market; yet it was also the fastest.  Great power + perfect gearing.  Drop it all in a great-looking car from an AMC factory that weights 1,800 pounds less and ....

>odd fact: that's a 90-deg v6.  why?  because it was originally
>designed as a v8, just before the gas crisis of the '70s.  afaik no
>v8s were ever made.

I could swear I remember a V8 was developed off the V6 core by Volvo for some reason or other....

-- Marc