------------
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2008 19:24:30 -0700 (PDT)
From: Joe Fulton <piper_pa20@xxxxxxxxxxx>

If the car is a 62 or earlier Classic family (big Rambler), I think you can pull the pan fairly easily and check the rod journals to see where the culprit is.  There's a chance it's not a rod.  It could be an loose pulley on the water pump or on an accessory.  Anyway if you pull the pan you should be able to diagnose it and go from there.  I agree with Tom.  I would not drive it, unless you want to spend more on the repair.

Joe Fulton