------------
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2008 18:49:22 -0400 (EDT)
From: adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Sandwich Maker)

" I have to disagree on the engine Andrew.  It wouldn't be hard to
" retrofit the 4.0L with roller lifters, not when the main casting
" could be easily changed.  The only problem now is getting the
" lifters not to rotate.  If I had access to the engineering
" department I think I could come up with a cost effective way to
" do it!  Retrofitting an existing casting is a different story,
" though it has been done.  Need to modify a lifter and cross bar,
" but if I had resources to manufacture my own lifters...

the block could take a lot of work to get access to the lifters in the
gallery, but if they did that i'd've designed it to use la rollers and
retain them a similar way.  but first i'd want to do a stress analysis
on the outer wall of the lifter gallery and see what if any stresses
it carries in the engine, or if it's essentially just a protective
cover, before i went making holes in it.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"