Re: [Amc-list] AMC V8 CAM PULLER Does One exist?

Re: [Amc-list] AMC V8 CAM PULLER Does One exist?

I don't know what would be able to pull the rear cam bearing while still in the car.
If you find something be real careful you don't unseat the cam plug back there. It'll leak a LOT of oil if you do!

If, your ambitious you can make your own tool. There's a bunch of web pages about home made cam bearing tools.
Pretty much most people just have a bushing turned to work with their bearings and the driver is a steel bar or pipe.
One I saw used a plastic or poly  turned to slip into the bearing and hold it, then the actualy push was done by a 1/4" or so "washer". That way there is no metal inside the bearing shell to scuff it.
   You have to be real careful with homemade tools though. Too tight and they can lock into the bearing when you install it. Too loose and the bearing can twist and the edges deform.
   We used to have a guy in town who would come out an do cam bearings in the shop for us. You know I do not remember if he did the rear bearing or just the others???

--
Mark Price
Morgantown, WV

From: Zee Man <z_man401@xxxxxxxxxxx>