[Amc-list] wish me luck

Just drilled a dozen holes in each of the (front) drums in my American.

No pix, I could not massage, cajole, convince, trick, fool, entice,
threaten, the P.O.S. Sony camera into turning on all the way. I have my
tech drawings so I can analyze the aftermath/enjoy the fruits of my labors.

So the working surface is 2.5" wide (Gremlin brakes on the American).
1.75" of this is on the "flat" part of the drum (it's actually a slight
taper). So I drilled 9 holes, #7 drill (.201") 0.2" apart across the
drum surface -- each one 3.375" further around the drum (spiral pattern).

.75" of the working surface is under the flange, near the backing plate.
  There's a raised portion that stiffens the drum, didn't touch that.
But I drilled two 1/8" holes through the double flange that seals
against the backing plate.

Then I drilled two more #7's 180 degrees apart where the drum proper
meets the mounting flange, on the theory that if water were to collect,
it would do so in here -- beyond the reach of the shoes.

So with every drum rotation, some hole sweeps 1.75" of the 2.5" drum.
There's about .5", about 1/4" in from the backing plate, that doesn't
get swept by a hole.

When I took the drums off last weekend, the internals were spotlessly
clean, no dust at all. So it's pumping air. It should now actually move
a bit of air through the new drum holes, taking heat and water out.

Since winter's coming up (Los Angeles winter: rain) I'll tell ya how it
works. The whole project is unbelievably cheap -- holes!

The only thing I can think of that would be harmful here is stresses
developing around the holes due to heat, but heat should be vastly
lessened, and they're larger than stock, and I ain't road racing.

I wish I'd thought to put a thermistor in there before and after.