[Amc-list] 7 Main Bearing engine into 62 Classic

[Amc-list] 7 Main Bearing engine into 62 Classic

Hey Gang,

    I have been looking at my 62 Classic, and trying to figure out what to
do with it.
As you may remember, the T96 is jammed into 2 gears at once, and I figure
it is a
writeoff.

    I have a T96 out of a 67 American, and was figuring on taking it and
using the
gearbox (front part) from it and the tailshaft housing from the 62, but as
was pointed
out, the front face of the T96 got changed when the cars went from 4-point
mounting
to 3-point mounting, so that the 67 gearbox will not bolt up to the 62
clutch.

    Sitting next to the 62 is a pretty rusty 75 Gremlin, with a good
running 232, and '
it has the multi-pattern bell so it will bolt up to a T96 (the Grem has a
150-T).

    This has spurred my imagination - and after measuring a lot, it looks
like it could
work out.

    The 62 Classic front mounts are on the front crossmember, and bolt to
the timing
cover. However, the middle crossmember is at pretty well the same location
relative to
the front face of the bellhousing in the Classic and the Gremlin -- the
main difference
is the welded on brackets which move the bolt hole about 1 1/2" forward
from the
center line of the middle cross member.

     The Multi-pattern bell housing comes down farther from the top
mounting bolts than
the 1962 bell does - it comes down about 7 inches, where the 1962 bell has
those holes
about 7 1/2" above the rear cross member, and the 62 bell mounts on the
side and only
comes down about 5 1/2" from the top mounting bolts.

      So....if I take the gearbox from the 1967 and bolt it to the 62
tailshaft housing,
and bolt that up to the 232 and multi-pattern bell, and get the extensions
welded onto
the middle crossmember (would need to make some kind of jig up, so that it
would hold
them at the right distance apart and and the right angle of rotation
relative to the horizon looking at it from the front), and if I could find
some kind of really thin
insulator to go between the multi-pattern bell and the rear cross
member...would it work?

       Has anyone else put a 7-main-bearing engine into a 56-62 Classic?

       One question is the clutch bellcrank - can I use the inner pivot
(mounted to the
bell housing) from the 75 with the 62 bellcrank? They look like they would
line up.
Can I just use the clutch internals from the 75? It looks like the input
shafts should
be compatible.

       I would really like to get this car back on the road. I know the
7-main-bearing
engine quite well and am much more comfortable with it than the 196, for
all that it is
a great engine. Having that drivetrain would make the car more of a driver
since I could
get spare parts anywhere.

       Anyone with any ideas, please let me know.

       And if it works out for me...anyone need a 62 196?

Jim
Leesburg, VA