[Amc-list] Voting ends 10-3-08 for the Purple Pacer!

[Amc-list] Voting ends 10-3-08 for the Purple Pacer!

Hi AMC'ers,

I am sure some of you have heard from me already (sorry) about Anna Beth's
purple Pacer in the Texaco contest.

Well, it IS the ONLY AMC in the entire contest... and it's my little girl's
car!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9154880@N07/2901561051/sizes/o/in/set-72157600871463449/

The voting ends Friday, 10-3-08 at 7 PM EST, but you must register soon
enough beforehand to receive a confirmation email link in order to vote.  A
contest link is posted at the end of this email.

Currently, a 1972 Mustang survivor and a chrome-plated, braided-hose Charger
are ahead of her in points.

They (gm, ford and mopar guys) as you know, have it easy when it comes to
building their cars.  If they want a new part, they just write a check.

We AMC guys have to have at least 6 parts cars, belong to 10 different blogs
and forums, and constantly hunt on eBay (Mark P says 'evilbay') for an NOS
or used part to make do on our AMCs... ... AND WE LIKE IT THAT WAY!  : )

AMC's and their owners should get more respect because of that hardship.
Even if we could buy aftermarket repops, I wouldn't want Chinese parts on my
car anyway.  After all, it's 'AMERICAN MOTORS CORPORATION', RIGHT!?!

Please bear with me as I explain my Pacer fixation.

     In the beginning, I really didn't expect to fall in love with Pacers, I
just wanted a cheap, small, car to make a drag race car out of.  I bought a
clean & running, 10 year old, rust-free Pacer for $300!  In 1987, I stripped
it of all but the essentials. It was surprisingly quick with the stock
engine after the crash diet!

    At the time I had no remorse for gutting a clean and rust-free 10-year
old Pacer.  I cringe when i think about all of the good parts that I threw
in the dumpster.  I built a roller-cammed 455 Pontiac for the car and raced
it for 8 years and won often.  It was a valuable learing experience.  It ran
10.80's at 125 MPH.  But after the thrill of speed faded, guilt started to
set in.

    After I sold my Pacer race car, I soon missed the very sight of it and
started wanting another Pacer, partly because I had gutted the race car and
felt guilty.  I thought if I built a really nice one it would relieve my
angst for gutting a Pacer just to make a race car. Friends have said that I
over-compensated.   Also, my daughter wanted one for her first car, so it
was done.

It took years to collect enough cars and parts to build the Pacer for my
daughter.  I want to thank everyone that helped me with it.

If you are interested, here are some MoPacer links:

The Hot Rod featured article:
http://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicles/index.html

Flickr images:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9154880@N07/sets/72157600871463449/

You Tube:  http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=powertour

Car Domain:    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3159332

Anna Beth's web site:   http://www.mopacer.com/

Here is the link to the contest:
http://www.texacocarofthedecades.com/DecadeLanding.aspx?DecadeFrom=1970&DecadeTo=1979

Your vote can be ten points (if you rank the car a '10')  So it doesn't take
a lot of votes to make a difference.

The voting ends Friday, 7PM EST, and I hear that confirmation emails sent to
registrants are getting caught in spam filters.

The top two cars seem to have an unlimited source of voters.  Perhaps one
big AMC block snipe vote on Friday would put the Pacer at the top.  If the
Pacer does retake first place, please help keep it there!  : )  Oh, and
perhaps a comment like, 'Saw it in Hot Rod!' or something like that might
help too!

An AMC is worthy of winning, right?!

Please forward this to all of your AMC friends,
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thank you very much.
Sincerely,
Harrel Lamkin
Lamkin Automotive
911 East Georgia Ave
Ruston, LA 71270
318-255-8350
Since 1980 - 'The little shop with big ideas.'