Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2008 11:14:44 -0700
From: Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Amc-list] Definitive fuel tank fitment
To: "AMC/Rambler owners, drivers and fans." <amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Sandwich Maker wrote:
> " From: "Dan Strohl" <DStrohl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> "
> " Jim-
> "
> " For my 4.0L 79 AMX, I actually used an XJ Cherokee fuel tank. The
only
> " thing I had to do was relocate the fuel filler to the center rear.
> " Otherwise, it's the exact same shape and size, and if you're
swapping to
> " fuel injection, you can still use the stock XJ fuel pump.
>
> this suggests you could've swapped the xj pump into the amx tank.
> possible?

Ooh, good catch!

Does the XJ use the same fuel sender/pickup system as the older AMCs
(and apparently Ford, and many others), and it all fits in the hole?
That would be a hell of a good thing. The pickup tube and float and
lever would have to be changed, but that's a straightforward mechanical
fab task.