-----------
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2008 20:45:05 -0700
From: Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>

> > Now - towards the back of the engine there is a tube that goes into
> > block and it has the heater control valve on it. Do I need to use a
> > thread sealer on that tube? What's the deal with that? How do I make
> > sure it's not leaking?

To make sure it never, ever, leaks again, place it carefully in the
trash can. Those things suck, the used ones are all decrepid and NOS
will cost you your retirement and will soon corrode and leak too. Admit
defeat and buy NAPA 660-1141 inline water valve, and a 5/8" hose to 3/8"
pipe nipple and a foot or so of 5/8" hose. Drop-dead stupid simple to
install and 100% compatible.

> > Also, I got new cork gaskets for the access plates. They were kinda
> > dry and the ends broke off. They are also a bit smaller than the
> > access plate - so there is a gap.

Cork gaskets also suck. Right Stuff (brand name) does not suck, but the
price does. It will never ever leak though!

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"