[Amc-list] mostly OT... my camp trailer!

[Amc-list] mostly OT... my camp trailer!

Rambler content: this attaches to a Rambler, and looks like it belongs
there!

Got my 1960's Sherwood (Los Angeles) camp trailer yesterday, and today
set it up and did the first big massive cleanup. Very nice!

The seller said "1964" but it's probably 1969. It's got a black CA
plate, so I can narrow it down a bit. There's a nomenclature plate
painted over, I'll decode that later. No ZIP code on it (ZIP codes
started reliably in 64).

The trailer portion is 8 x 6, about 500 - 600 lbs. It's sheet steel, a
slight trapeziod shape, and riveted. Zero rust and no dents. Clean design.

The canvas really is all new. Small tear in one screen (from the sink
faucet) and one small tear in a canvas cover (looks like kid stuff).
Foam bads are fairly dead, but neatly intact, as is the grim slipcovers.
(Why is camper upholstery so consistently AWFUL?)

THe floor had ug-lee patterned beige carpeting, exactly what you DO NOT
WANT in a tent trailer. Pulled that up. Underneath was a spectatularly
half-assed job of self-stick tiles. Those came up with a putty knife,
leaving a nice coating of old adhesive goo. THAT came up with some
mineral spirits with a bit of Marvel Mystery Oil in it (to slow
evaporation) easily. Then a brush with dish soap and  Bon Ami. Revealing
the original rollout type linoleum in pretty decent shape except for a
couple rust stains I can live with if I can't get 'em up. Whew!

Shop vac'ed and washed and hosed down everything, very, very dirty, the
last (N > 2) owners worth of paper, cups, food, dust, dirt, and general
Krap. It's starting to look nice now. Chrome polish the table post, Bon
Ami the aliminum trim, formica table. 10% bleach water on some of the
rolled-up screen zips (looked like mildew) more hosing...

The stove and sink unit cantilevers out on a complicated contraption and
at first looked like I'd have to pitch it. But I drilled some drain
holes in the bottom of the unit and the stove, and it cleaned up
surprisingly well. Very 1960's yellow colors, good enamel and all. Water
pump works! Water tank probably OK but I'll replace it with  bigger one
and an electric pump. Needs a sink. Stove works, missing one flame ring.

Wiring is crap, but it's what, 20 feet and 4 conductors.

Chassis is *excellent*. Clean, no rust, straight. Tires are terrifying,
but somehow, they made it home. Will do the usual (demount, media blast,
paint, check for true, replace all bearings).

Has no electrics, but I will add some LED lighting (I've got that stuff
down pat), a small gel cell and small solar panel, and charge it off the
trailer connector for good measure. Just needs lighting inside.

I paid $400!! Total deal!!! With new tires and fix one brake light it's
useable now.

It has one design flaw: it has to be removed from the car to set up. If
the hitch was one foot longer it could stay on the car. Eh.

No pictures yet as my Sony P.O.S. camera has partially disassembled
itself, and plays a 'simon says' game every power-on. Time for a new
(Canon) camera!