Re: [Amc-list] stuff to do with old cars... California Melee

Sandwich Maker wrote:

> how about a halda coffee-grinder [grenade-size mechanical calculator]

I think you mean Curta?

http://www.vcalc.net/cu.htm

They are spectacular contrivances. If you ever get the chance to use
one, don't pass it up. Please excuse this, but it's like machine sex
operating one. It's so spectacularly well made, and alien-seeming, that
it's hard to believe. A strange ultra-precision clicking and whirring as
you operate it, it's the most precision device I ever operated. It feels
just amazing to operate. A friend of mine has one. $600? $1000?
Depending on model. Some are really old, some 1960's. Makes my Mitotoyo
mike set look like Harbor Freight.

And yeah, the designer worked it all out in his head, while in a nazi
death camp. He said it was the only thing that kept him going. He made
some respectable amoutn from it after the war. Pretty amazing story.

> and .01-mi stewart warner trip odo, precisely calibrated to the brand
> and size of your tires?

If I was reallllllly into it I could make an 8-digit Nixie display odo,
but I'm not that dedicated :-)