Re: [Amc-list] Amc-list Digest, Vol 21, Issue 26

Re: [Amc-list] Amc-list Digest, Vol 21, Issue 26

Had another great trip in the 86 Wagoneer... I am amazed at how nice this recent resurrection rides.  Very comfortable while hauling lots of stuff on a 10 hour round trip!  It will be up for sale soon, though without the big, nice chrome grille guard... that's going on the J10!

So Ray Mick, AMC aficianado, in Wichita and Cessna Technician volunteered to help me get the J evaluated and loaded on the trailer.  COuld not have asked for better help!  THanks RAY!  (BTW, the guy was right, he DID give me the key, but I had left it on my other car... BLAHST!)

You know, never ask an aircraft mechanic to do something unless you want it done ALL THE WAY!  I have a coat hanger to keep my ramps from sliding out of their holder on my trailer.  Ray put it back together and I was AMAZED at how intrically he was able to loop this hanger in and out and around... I almost had to cut it!  But guarantee, those ramps were never coming out by accident!

I have to get Ray to teach me how to tie the excess straps around as well.  It almost looked like art and was just as tight when I got home (with 5 hours of 40 mile oper hour gusts!) as when I left... very professional!

It's always good getting to meet another AMC'r and especially one as knowledgeable and helpful as Ray... I can't wait to see his 4.0 Gremlin!   Thanks again.

Surprisingly enough, this J10 with 258 and 5 speed is in better shape than I thought, probably because it is so much less humid in WIchita than here in MO.  3 of the 4 wheels spun freely, even though it's been sitting for 3 years.  The engine cranked with no problem, even though it has been sitting without an air cleaner all this time.  (the rockers were really creaking at first!)

Due to a lack of key, or my HEI dist which I forgot to grab, we did not get it started.  Regardless, the healthy cranking and evidence that the fuel pump is good was encouraging.  I got it unloaded last night, but won't have time to mess with it until later this week.  I hope to have it running by the weekend.

Have a great week and I will keep you posted in the J10 progress.  I plan to put a 4.0 head and EFI on it eventually, though, if it runs well now, I will probably just put on a Clifford intake and Holley 390 til I have the money to do some engine building.

Jesse

Near Springfield, MO