[Amc-list] Matador unibody rust repair opinion/advice wanted

[Amc-list] Matador unibody rust repair opinion/advice wanted

Hi all

Since I had the motor out of the 1973 Matador, I thought it would be a good time to clean up the engine compartment. I thought I should bang on all the rust spots with a hammer to see how bad they were and .... here's a link to a picture of one side (both sides are about equal.) The vehicle is relatively "rust free" but up near the firewall as you can see, the damage is severe. Does anyone have any advice for me here?

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2855781940068086797uTwfsa

This isn't a show car or a restoration but then on the other hand it isn't just a daily driver either. It's a hobby car. In other words, it doesn't have to be PERFECT but I don't want to cobble it real bad either.

Thanks in advance.

Doug "yup, it's a Michigan car" Dornbos