[Amc-list] Shipping across the border.

Guys, it works both ways.
As a Canadian, i've missed out on lots of good items because the guy wouldn't ship to Canada.
The reason (I think) is that UPS and FedEx charge brokerage fees on shipments and UPS has a minimum charge of about $25 US which is not a big deal if your talking a big ticket item, but if you bought something for $10 you don't want $25 tacked on because someone needs to shuffle some papers.
They have a cute way of charging for the brokerage.
The package shows up at your doorstep and you ask if there are any outstanding charges and the delivery guy says No but a week or so later you get a bill for the $25.
I guess a lot of people say NO to the extra charges and the shipper sends the item back to the seller and that's why they won't sell to Canadians.
If you ship USPS you don't have that problem but there is a problem tracking shipments across the border.
My personal horror story is I bought some rubber bushings for the springs on my 70 AMX. They sold for $10 on Ebay.
When the guy shipped them to me, he valued the bushings at $435.
I ended up with a bill from UPS for $175 which was Brokerage, taxes and duty fees based on $435.
I had to jump through all kinds of hoops to convince Customs that I had only paid $10.
As far as UPS goes, I found out later that I could clear the package through customs myself and save the brokerage fee, but I have to make an extra trip into town to do that.
I don't know if there is a problem shipping from Canada to the USA. I have sold lots of stuff to Americans and never had a problem that I'm aware of.
What you may have encountered, is a pissed off Canadian who can't buy what he wants from the USA because of UPS or FedEx.
Don