[Amc-list] One Step Forward, Two Back

I finally got back to building the 195.6 engine for the 64 Rambler in my yard.  I've had many distractions this summer and it felt good to clean up the shop and resume the reassembly.  As a bonus, while doing the cleanup, I actually found the bearing shell which I had misplaced a couple of months ago.  That (I thought at the time) saved me from buying a whole new set of rod bearings.

Anyway, I had finally received the Best Gasket (brand) rear main seal that's supposed to be the cat's meow for these old motors.  I decided to replace the Felpro seal I had installed a few months ago.  Also, the crank was very difficult to turn with only five pistons (new rings) and the main bearings torqued down.  I suspected something could be wrong and wanted to have a look.  I had checked the bearing clearances when I first assembled the bottom end but something seemed fishy.

Tonight I pulled the rod bearings and found that number two bearing had a deep gouge in it.  I checked the crank and that journal looks like something heavy had been dropped on it.  I just don't know how it happened.  The only thing I can think is that a piece of metal got between the bearing and journal as I assembled the motor.  The crank is already turned .020 undersize.  I'll take both that crank and the spare that I have waiting in the wings back to the machine shop and get a diagnosis.  Looks like I'll be buying a new set of rod bearings anyway.  Durn, durn, durn.

Joe Fulton
Salinas, CA