Re: [Amc-list] "Volcano" crank end for 61 and earlier auto trannys

Re: [Amc-list] "Volcano" crank end for 61 and earlier auto trannys

The 57-61 Borg Warner auto also used the "volcano" crank. Hydramatic was
used 52-56 (not sure if earlier models had an auto option) and I'm
pretty sure used a similar special crank. May have been a bolt-on
adapter, I'm not sure now, was a long time ago that I saw one!
---------- Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 13:14:36 -0700 From: Tom Jennings
<tomj@xxxxxxx>

> > I think that settles it then -- the 61 and earlier auto trans uses a special crank, 62 and later do not. Someone else had told me long ago that 61 and earlier used a special crank, but I couldn't recall who or if 61 was the actual cut-off date. I've only seen the Hydramatic crank, no 57-61 BW auto engines. All mine have been 63 and later, but you can tell from the TSM that the 62 trans is the same as the 63 (M-35). The 61 is definitely different -- uses a vacuum modulator instead of a TV cable.

My engines confirm that. The volcano crank is a 58 or 59. So that's the
hydramatic? Mildly interesting to somebody, because we know that the
bells are the same, and the crank flange pattern is correct other than
the volcano lump which coudl be easily removed -- with the crank out of
the engine and on a lathe of course.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"