[Amc-list] T-96 woes (again)

Crap, I lost my 2nd gear synchro! I have no idea how it happened. Never
crashed it, in/out of gear w/o clutch, I shift slowly enough, etc. No
warning. Just a gentle downshift at 25 mph or so, GRIND GRIND, clutch in
Neutral, still grinds. Works OK at rest or if I rev-match.

I neglected to check the mainshaft stack clearance when I assembled it;
I know it's on the loose side. The 2 - 3 synchro was slow, till is, but
still works.

Very strange. I assume I screwed something up on assembly. All new
parts, clean. Too thin oil though, that was a stupid experiment. I dont'
see how that alone would have done this.

If the brass dogs broke off, they didn't jam anything, so I'll drive it
carefully, and if it's tolerable, well, I'll just drive it. Shift 1 - 2
and 2 - 3 are OK, for now anyways.

I know this is not the T-96's fault, but with all the hassles finding
parts I just may have to lose the Twin Stick -- boo hoo! -- and stick
something in the hole that's worth the effort. For the money I spent I
could have bought a good T5 and new adapter!

Part of me hates to not fix it though, it just feels like giving up. I
hope I have time to mull it over though!