Re: [Amc-list] production numbers

Mail to the list needs to be sent to "amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx". I
forwarded this message to the list for you.

But to answer: There's no way to tell how many Javelins were sold in
California. AMC just didn't keep or publish that kind of info. You can
search the internet and find some Javelin and AMX numbers broken down a
bit better, but only because some enterprising individual had access to
the numbers and thought to save them -- such numbers aren't available
for most AMC models, and AMC didn't have much need for them over a few
years old.

I can tell you that there were 29,097 base model 1968 Javelins made,
plus 26,027 SST models -- 55,124 total. 17,298 had 232 six cylinder
engines (14,750 base, 2,548 SST).

If you're looking to upgrade the drivetrain consider a 4.0L Jeep
Cherokee/Wrangler six over a V-8. It's much easier to drop in if you're
not scared of the wiring, and has about the same power as a stock 360
V-8. If you can find a two wheel drive Cherokee with auto trans you get
the benefit of an overdrive transmission too! The stock transmission
won't work with the newer six -- the bell housing bolt pattern changed
in 1972, so only 71 and earlier six cylinder engines will bolt up to
your transmission.

There's a lot that can be done to the 232, so if you're looking for
something a little spunkier but will still get good mileage just upgrade
it. It really needs a new cam, as the factory cam is very mild. An "RV"
or "towing" cam produces power in the lower rpm range, and is best for
everyday driving. High rpm horsepower is really only good for bragging
rights and racing, not everyday street driving! The factory 2V carb and
a good turbo muffler and 2" exhaust system will work wonders if you have
the 1V and factory type exhaust now. And get rid of the points! You
don't need anything expensive or fancy, just order a Pertronix points
replacement unit. It fits in your stock distributor and just needs a
switched 12V wire added to make it work. Keep the points in the glove
box as a back-up in case the Pertronix unit fails (rare!) -- you just
pop them back in and go.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"