Re: [Amc-list] Bummer

" From: Joe Fulton <piper_pa20@xxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" Well, I wouldn't be so hasty to replace that engine.
" My 64 which I thought had a 232 in it, has the same
" block casting number 3170721.  This engine was
" installed by a previous owner.  It has fabricated
" engine mounts.  I thought it was a 232.
" Yep, I just checked. It is an L code engine (date code
" includes and L not a J. so it is a 232.  AFAIK the
" same block would be used for a 232 and 199, at least
" in the mid-sixties.

right.  the assembly date code marks what was put in it, but it's the
same block.  the only different parts are internally the crank, rods,
and pistons, and externally the carb and intake.

" From: Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>
"
" Joe Fulton wrote:
" > Well, I wouldn't be so hasty to replace that engine.
"
" Hmm, what IS a reliable way to determine the stroke of an engine from
" the outside? I can't think of a single thing. In 40 years any crazy crap
" could have been done to the car to keep it on the road.

race tracks have displacement measuring devices that work
non-invasively, to detect cheaters.