[Amc-list] alt bolt hole

Hi guys I need a bit of advice for 401 V8. I was trying to put my alternator on and found the bolt hole was stripped out, great time to find out. The head is on the engine and in the car. My question is, should I just drill and tap the hole out and install heli coils 3/8 or wound the head be able to take just being tapped out to 7/16 bolt thread ? The hole is the one closest to the header flange.