Re: [Amc-list] aluminum 196

My bad Dave! No, the engine won't fit with the oil filter in place. The oil pump will *just* clear, but the filter sticks past it just a little, which is just a little too much. Everyting's close on the left side, but you might be able to shift the engine over about 1/4-1/2" and clear the lower A-arm support... until you need to align it. I posted about frame spreading in these cars a while back. As the frame spread a little (the K bracce isn't quite enough for a 40+ year old car any more!) the lower A-arm mounting bars creep to the inside during alignment. Tom suggested removing the filter mount and tapping the two large holes for hoses, then using a remote filter mount. I'm not sure the AL engine pump is made the same as the full flow filtered cast iron pump (used in 65 only -- l-head and OHV).

---------
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2008 19:43:28 -0700 (PDT)
From: d stohler <das24rules@xxxxxxxxx>

i wasnt trying to take the oil pump off the aluminum engine to use on my ci. i
was wondering if the al engine with the filter on the pump would fit in the 63
american. it looked like it would be REALLY close if it fit. i (stupidly) didnt
take any measurements of clearances while the engine was in the car. didnt even
think about that...

tom, you have a 63 american. maybe i could persuade (sp?) you into measuring
distance from the mating surface of the oilpump/block to the a-arm mount and
inner fender it might hit on. when i go to town and pop them heads off, i will
measure distance from mounting face of pump/block to the farthest reach of the
filter/pump. see if it will clear or not. kinda thinking it would be really cool
if i could get that little al motor running good, and bolt it right up as is.
replace the single bbl intake plate with my 2bbl plate. i have a feeling that
motor is going to be so corroded up its just scrap money...

dave stohler
my rambler pics@

--
Frank Swygert