[Amc-list] performance six

Since I just hot-tanked and cleaned up an original '64 232 (or 199, who
knows) head, I pulled out the two Navarro heads and lined all three of
'em up on the bench.

The two Navarro heads are different.

One is a 3170717, identical in every way including numbers to my 64
stock head. It's had some work done; combustion chamber polished, and
the deck has an O-ring groove cut. Minor porting, and there's scribe
marks on the manifold face where the ports were squared and matched.
There's extra tapped holes, and the location dowels were removed and
tapped. These holes all match the turbo manifold. The center two exhuast
ports are de-siamesed (milled for an insert plug, missing on this head).
The ports are as rough as stock otherwise, and valves are stock diameter
(quick check with the calipers across the seats, so I could be off .010)
but one oddity -- the exhaust valve guide holes are about .43" diameter
instead of the .3something of stock. QUITE large.

The other head is very special; an AMC casting with "RD" and digits
where the part number goes. It's got extreme porting, and has the same
decking, polish, O-ring groove and extra manifold bolt/stud holes. The
de-siamese plug is in place. Exhaust is the same as the other, 1.4" but
huge stem, but the intake is about 1.9". It's definitely a different
casting than stock, but it's very hard to figure out. The only
differences I can find are all cosmetic, the relatively rough stuff
around the outside of the thermostat housing is smooth-cast, not ground
or milled, but cast that way. Similarly around the rear welch plug. I
inspected the water jacketing as far as I could, seems identical. Same
length and height. Don't have a scale accurate enough to check weight.

I re-bought an old copy of Smokey Yunick's POWER SECRETs, even though
some of it may be dated it's still very smart. I think it makes clear a
lot of the stuff in this Navarro motor -- it's built to survive detonation!

In places, the cylinder walls are .4" thick. Double O-ringed, head and
block. THe pistons are TRUE FORGED brand, and very heavy overall. I
don't know race motors for sh** but these pistons are thick and heavy!

The two different Navarro motors ran at (I'm fairly sure) 550 hp and 750
hp, both from 181 cubic inches. That's 3 and 4 hp/cuin! 45 - 100 PSI of
turbo boost, and no intercooler. I still don't understand how this thing
ran -- inlet temperatures must have been extreme.

The pistons are flat-topped with a shallow dish, and the combustion
chambers are about .1" deeper than the stock 64 head. So it's not hugely
lower than stock compression (but definitely not higher).

Sadly, the pistons I have don't match the bores. I'd never actually
checked before! The block bore is 3.690" and the pistons (below top ring
parallel to pin) 3.723". With Starrett dial caliper, I could be off a
few thou. Pins are full floating, .928" diameter. Compression height is
2.084". This was a 199, but I have no rods, don't know stock rod length
or compression height stock, so these pistons could be from any motor at
all, maybe not even AMC. ANyone have piston data?

So I have no real idea what this pile of parts was from, other than some
  combination of Navarro Rambler. It's certainly a mishmash of first gen
and later-gen motors, plus who knows what. It's somewhat of a relief, in
that I don't have to worry about ruining some museum piece.

Basically I have a hopefully good stock block with nice expensive work
done, plus sleeved and O-ringed (which could be a liability). Plus I
have an exotic head with thousands of dollars worth of work in it, and a
custom cast stainless steel turbo manifold. Since the block is sleeved
SMALLER, and the walls are crazy thick, I may be able to bore it for
these pistons, if they indeed are compatible. So until I do a complete
inventory it looks like it would make a nice 300+ hp, 6000 rpm turbo
street motor. Pretty good for $300.