Re: [Amc-list] Howell TBI in a 63 Classic...

Re: [Amc-list] Howell TBI in a 63 Classic...

Sounds interesting.
I doubt I would have put that much effort into the linkage.
I never liked the whole broken motor mount = sticking throttle thing..

I always assumed the various needs to fit the exhaust manifold was due to age and not that they actually moved anything around!  Could be wrong, but back in the 80's they had a habit of snapping the outer exhaust studs off flush with the head! When I would take them apart, usually the broken studs would come out fairly easily. Once new studs where installed the exhaust would sometimes not fit over them! When we had new manifolds on hand and the customer agreed we would install a new manifold. After a while it seemed to me the ones that got new manifolds would sometime come back with the same problem. Then as the cars got older peple would not want to spend the money.
   I found that by using my diegrinder and opening the hole in the outsides of the exhaust manifold till there was good clearance all around and the reinstalling they worked fine. I don't recall a single one coming back either!
  Yours sounds like it got longer , most of the ones I recall shrunk, that would explain why yours hit the waterpump area.

   I agree on your choice of rear mounting the pump! They are called pumps, pumps don't like to suck, they pump por push.  I want to do an intank mount with mine. Tanks Inc. makes a nice unit that bolts into most tanks and has it's own sump. It's also $215 plus shipping. I have a 80's Wrangler pump mount that bolts in like the Tanks inc setup so I plan on using it to build my own in tank mount.  Someday.
   My reason is two fold, noise from the external pump and pumplife is longer in the tank where it does not have to draw fuel at all.
  Someday.

--
Mark Price
Morgantown, WV