Re: [Amc-list] Aluminum V8 Hemmings Classic Car

Re: [Amc-list] Aluminum V8 Hemmings Classic Car

" From: Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx>
"
" I think there was an article in "Collectible Automobile" some time
" back on this engine. At the time Alcoa (Aluminum Company of America)
" made 3-4 engines for several manufacturers in an effort to entice
" them to consider aluminum for engine blocks. I know they made some
" for Ford, and I think one of the GM divisions. The article led one
" to believe that the aluminum GEN-1 AMC V-8 was one of those. Maybe
" I'll see if I can find it. Don't know what led them to that
" conclusion...

there was of course the buick aluminum 215, though i don't know if
alcoa had fingers in that.  there was also an aluminum version of the
225 v6, curious since it was derived from the iron version of the 215.
i don't know of any other aluminum gms from the early '60s.  there
were racing blocks a few years later - the zl-1 427 for one.

at mopar there was an aluminum 225 and an ultra-rare low deck 170
slant six.

i didn't know of any fords - what were they?

btw the buick v8 is still being made, though rover no longer uses it
and has farmed it out to a smaller outfit.  displacement is now 280
cubes.

" From: Jock J JocewJ Jocewicz <namdra@xxxxxxxx>
"
"   If you read the article you will see that no one is sure if this
" all-aluminum block was by AMC or Alcola. Larry and the article writer are
" trying to determine more about it. BTW, Larry has been the long time
" Vice-President of NAMDRA!!