Re: [Amc-list] Off with his head! (erm, the heater control valve is stuc

Re: [Amc-list] Off with his head! (erm, the heater control valve is stuck)

Bruce Griffis wrote:

> So - I think I need to remove the heater control valve, and it isn't
> too happy about it. Just turn the nut and off it comes? I'll hit it
> again.

In a perfect world...

Yeah it's a rotten thing. They all seem to freeze, when they aren't
already removed and plugged!

I had two valves and both were totally rotten. I abandoned them and bout
a simple, new, all-plastic in-line water valve from NAPA. Easy to
install, it lives on the hose. I got a plain old brass nipple to screw
into the head. Works as good or better than new. Part numbers are at home...

Probably easier to get off when you have the head off and on a bench.
Big ole pipe wrench. Soak with AeroKroil first, even overnight.
Sometimes I soak then tap with a tiny (4 oz) ball pein hammer; tap, tap,
tap, ... make it "ring". I think it helps drive kroil (etc) into porous
rust and crud by breakin surface tension and bubbles. Or, it's as
effective as sacrificing a chicken. Less messy though.

If it ends up shearin off at the head, the shop can remove it.

> One of the intake manifold to cylinder head bolts isn't coming out. I
> backed it out and it should come off - so will continue working on it.

It unscrews, just won't extract? Kroil... Claw hammer, to pull if it
comes to that.

> When I bring the head in - should I leave the intake and exhaust
> valves and the rocker arm (or whatever it's called) on? I'm thinking
> of getting a valve job done while the head is off.

Personally, I disassemble rockers myself, then tie the parts into
necklaces with baling wire, bring them all to the shop for hot-tanking.
The shop likely wants to see the valves in their holes to see what
damage/mismatch/etc there is. It's no big deal for them to disassemble
that stuff. In general I try to minimize work for the shop ($$$) and do
my own inspections.

> Also - when taking out the spark plug for the 5th cylinder, I noticed
> a lot of oil on the plug. I'll need to check that one for oil issues.

That could possibly be bad, look for cylinder wall scoring or weirdness
(eg. difference from the others).