Re: [Amc-list] 232 combustion chamber - No Squish (4.0L mileage)

I got a max of 25 mpg from my Classic when running the stock 4.0L with a manual trans (old style three speed with BW OD, 3.31 gears). Averaged 23-24 on the highway. The stroker lost a couple mpg. The AW-4, surprisingly, didn't lose any... maybe 1 mpg but I still get 21-22 on the highway, average 18-19 in mixed driving. You can expect to lose a couple mpg with a standard compression stroker, higher would be worse. I had enough power with the standard 4.0L, sometimes I wish I'd just left it alone! The extra 60-70 hp is a bit more fun, but definitely not necessary even in my much heavier wagon. If you want to enjoy driving the car at an affordable rate I advise you to leave well enough alone, especially in your much lighter American sedan!

--------------
Date: Fri, 18 Jul 2008 11:39:11 -0400 (EDT)
From: Wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Amc-list] 232 combustion chamber - No Squish

I was thinking of building a high compression stroker for the American, but that 27.9 mpg on the last tank kind of makes me want to leave it alone!

How many people have a 60's semi custom Rambler with efi etc and get that kind of mileage out of it? Not many I'll bet!

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"