[Amc-list] Completely OT: wireless networks

[Amc-list] Completely OT: wireless networks

Does your son have Limewire or some other file sharing software installed?
 Get rid of it ASAP; it is designed to make certain folders shared so that
anybody can trade files with your son's laptop.  Kids install Limewire to
snag music files from each other.  Legal?  Not really.  Did they pay for
any of those 100s of songs on their laptop and mp3 player?  Maybe a small
percentage but mainly they were stolen.

AMC Content:  Dropped a whole second off of my already dismal quarter-mile
time at the local Wednesday Night Drags.  The secret?  Oh duh, I had too
much air in my tires.  They were doing nothing but spinning at the
starting line.  Let some air out and ole Vivo hooked up and out.  Got a
new open air filter housing too so we'll see how that helps the next time
I go to the track.

Ross Guistino
Rohnert Park, CA
'73 Gremlin aka Vivo
'75 Gremlin X aka Greta

On Thu, July 17, 2008 2:59 pm, Bruce Griffis wrote: I know this is off
topic. We had discussed wireless networks a while back, and I had posted
mine was open. I didn't care if other people used it, as I had a filtering
proxy server blocking all the questionable stuff.

Well, was using one of the kid's laptops today, and noticed a "new" laptop
had joined the network and was trying to share Multimedia files on my
son's laptop. I checked my firewall/proxy server and found a new IP
address for a device hitting the Internet from my network.

I quickly changed my mind on not caring about wireless security. I set up
security immediately!!! I wouldn't care so much if it was just someone
checking their e-mail or occasionally hitting the Internet. I got pretty
mad when an anonymous person tried to grab multi-media files off my kids
laptop!

Sorry for posting off-topic non-sense. I just thought it funny how quickly
I changed my mind when it hit my home network. Hmmmmm, a person from the
tax-assessor's office has been spending the past week measuring yards and
house footage and taking pictures of houses. He hit my street today. I
wonder if the tax-man scammed my network.