Re: [Amc-list] Piston coatings

Greg Taylor wrote:
> Tom,
> Why not try the Evans waterless coolant ... that should help with the cooling issues.

yeah... I'm running the NAPA equiv. in my Classic now. It's hard to
document, but it seems to help. I drove last week through the San
Andreas Fault area (California Valley? Route 58 and all that). It was
109 in Taft. Car ran cool normal the whole time, but I also wasn't
hauling 4 people plus a trailerful of camping gear.

The idea of coating though was to keep the combustion heat in the gases
where it does work pushing pistons down, with the nice side effect that
you don't throw away gasoline energy into the radiator. It's not too
hard to keep this motor cooled properly.

You know, I wonder if all that stuff isn't simply that super-strong
surfacent, aka "garage floor cleaner" or Castrol Purple Stuff. Basically
the trick is to wet the iron in the head and cyl walls; if there's a bit
of oil in there, totally normal from assembly, water pumps, etc, it'll
prevent wetting. The surfacent would fix that... and it wouldn't take
much to do the job.

In fact a flush with the stuff wouldn't hurt before filling with coolant.