[Amc-list] Performance 195.6!

Tomorrow I'm gonna do some diagnostics to make sure I can put off the
rebuild of my Classic's 232 another year. I will start on the head for
the 232 though, using my spare '70 232, and get it and the 83? manifold
setup for the Howell TBI. In any case it's all indoor work and it's
where all the fiddling will be.

If I can delay the full rebuild, I want to concentrate on the 195.6 a
bit. I have that short block, but mainly I want to do a bit of work on
the head.

So I have this spare 195.6 ohv head, used but clearly recently rebuilt.
I stare at it weekly. I won't get to really look at ports and flow until
it's boiled out, but the heat-retained-in-head problem is fairly obvious.

The exhaust ports travel a few inches up then down through the head,
through or near the water jacket. Clearly this dumps a lot of heat
there. The combustion chambers are a bizarre shape, and looks like it
contributes (los of surface area). That metal stuff, plus the really
conservative ("NEVER PING!") ignition timing makes for a hot head.

I'm thinking that combustion chamber, exhaust port, and maybe piston
crown coating would help. Bruce Nick or Davis, do you guys have any
experience with these heat-reflective coatings? Can it be done for a few
hundred $$$ or is it too pricey for us low-budget mortals? If the heat
can be kept in the gasses and out of the water, and timed right, it
seems like with slightly more cam, and slightly higher revs, more power
could be had with zero harm and not a lot of cost.

I hope on Monday I can get both heads and the manifold set to the local
shop for boiling out and magnafluxing.